Les Jardins du Manoir d'Eyrignac


Listed by the Ministry of Culture as a Jardin Remarquable, the formal gardens at the Manoir d'Eyrignac are an exceptionally fine example of the Italian influence that spread throughout French gardens during the 17th and 18th centuries.


The house and gardens have been in the possession of the same family for some 500 years and it's current glory today is the passion of owners Patrick and Capucine Sermadiras who, together with their son Gilles continue to live in the manor and oversee all aspects of the gardens development and upkeep.

Last Sunday was my fourth visit to Eyrignac this year. I'm fortunate in that it's only 25 minutes drive from here so it's easy to spend an afternoon exploring one of France's grandest green spaces.


Located over 4 hectares, Eyrignac contains fine examples of topiary and prides itself on using old methods wherever possible. Domed standards of White Mulberry are clipped expertly with shears as are striking 'cakestands' of Yew together with some 45,000 m2 of Box and Hornbeam hedges. All the clipping and mowing waste are collected and reused three years later as organic compost.



Even apple and pear trees have been shaped and trained into mature standards which looks quite something when they bear fruit.


Throughout, the gardens are punctuated with Cypress and prostrate Juniper, emblematic of Mediterranean lanscapes which together with gently trickling water features add a further dimension to what is really a very tranquil and calm place.


Comments

  1. Wow, this is what I had in mind when I named my blog Green Theatre.
    Not that I will ever have anything like a Jardin Remarquable. Maybe if I could have 500 years, I would be able to accomplish something remarkable like this garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This garden is amazing! I loved the tour and can't wait to see this and other gardens like it in person someday. The shapes of the trees are beautiful. I wonder if I could get my crazy apple tree shaped up a bit like that? That frog spitter would look perfect by my pond.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a fantastic garden Rob. The French do formality in a way no one else seems to be able to match.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So wonderful - I can´t stop watching the pictures; what a paradise! thanks for these great and big pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my. This cements the idea of an evergreen to be pruned for fun in the empty large concrete container. I would visit that place often too, if it was nearby. The architecture is fabulous too.
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  6. How beautiful! I'm afraid I would feel a need to dress up just to stroll in the garden! Ny casual American approach to gardening attire probably wouldn't work well in this garden!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Truly a treasure, this is a stunning garden.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful place. I love to see places where you live. I find it so interesting. Love the shaped trees. Hard to imagine that people still live there and that it has been in the family for 500 yrs. WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not a fan of too much perfection and symmetry in a garden, but this actually inspired me to re-think that a little bit. I think because it's done to the extreme and i can see the craftsmanship necessary to keep this up. Nice.

    Gayle
    http://itsgayle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another beautiful French garden! I love the architecture of the manor house, too.

    Cameron
    PS Charm is better and thankfully this is a treatable problem and not the kd. Thanks for your concerns.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember us all taking about Eyrignac when we came to see you, but we didn't have time to visit it ...... what a pity - it looks fantastic! and I love the architecture of the house too!
    Have a good weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how I would love to come and explore this place! I do love topiary of various kinds, and the atmosphere here seems marvellous too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Delightful, Rob ... an artistic job of capturing this fine garden. How lucky you are to live near. Happy Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a breathtaking garden. Thank you so much for sharing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely stunning!! Will have to put it on the list!
    Please post more wonderful gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful....thank you for sharing...!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very impressive garden, I love it

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment