J'adore Les Asperges



Asparagus season has been underway for a week or two now. It'll be all things asparagus for at least another month.


The French preference is for the blanched, white asparagus. The black polythene keeps photosynthesis away - no chlorophyll here.




This is the courtyard to one of the most magnificent asparagus farms around.



It's been in his family for generations.



With views to the villages and chateaux of Beynac and Castelnaud, the panorama is also magnifique.







Et Voilà.

Comments

  1. What a magnificent church. I have to confess to not liking asparagus - funnily enough one of the few vegetables that I do not enjoy. Totally intrigued by the strawed up window above the bicyclette. An explanation please Rob :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to like asparagus, it's the law! No but seriously, I seem to remember you weren't an asparagus fan. The window. Now that is a bonne question. I think it's for insulation. The stone barn is used for storage, but for what I don't know.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post. Gorgeous photos. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Rob...I'm now drooling at the thought of asparagus and may well have to brave the deluge and go buy some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz. Best of all is to find a 'pick your own' asparagus farm - there must be one near to you. I used to go to one close to where I lived just outside Oxford many, many moons ago. Great fun and value! You could practically pick your own body weight in asparagus for not a lot.

      Delete
  4. Yummy! Though I've not had the blanched version - something to look forward to, I guess. I just planted a few asaparagus crowns. I'll see how they do and decide whether to squeeze some more into the edges of my mostly ornamental garden. They get fairly large in summer, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. in Germany they are spargel......yummy delightful

    ReplyDelete
  6. Superbe article et photos sur les asperges

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment