Mushroom Season Continues...



The Cepe season continues. It kicked off late, way into September when usually a downpour in August is the trigger. One thing's certain. This has to be one of latest running seasons, which courtesy of an absence of any frost seems set to continue for a week or two longer.

I bought these at Le Marché des Capucins, the big food market in Bordeaux and at 15 euro a kilo they weren't  too eye wateringly expensive. That said, on the way home, just near St. Emillion I saw a roadside stall packed with crates of this particular bolete knocking them out at 6.50 euro a kilo.


The start of Saturday night's dinner - mushrooms and noodles - the best noodles I could find at the Italian stall in the same market. Délicieux

Comments

  1. Rob, you're making my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gary. The pasta (spaghetti) was as much the star as the mushrooms - dinner was a treat.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I'm yealous! We just had two weeks at the end of August/beginning of September this year, when capes/boletes where found in wild amounts, and then it was over. I managed to the forest only once, but it was great - 4 large buckets in about 2 hours. I wish our season would last longer but no - next weekend they are talking about ski slope opening :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a short season Ann. Snowfall seems particularly distant for Western Europe at the moment as we continue to bathe under mild southerly winds.

      Delete
  3. Mmmmmmm - now that looks so appetising Rob. No frost here as yet but buckets of the wet stuff. Would prefer the former.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grim and wet here at the moment. I'd prefer the frost too though that would end the mushroom season.

      Delete
  4. Have to say I'm salivating looking at those mushies. We've been here in France for 7 weeks now and when I get the chance, its Cepes with whatever.
    Sue has promised me a home cooked meal of ceps before we leave. And why not while in the Loire and the mushroom caves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could pick up some Pieds Bleu at the Cave des Roches

      Delete
  5. I'm currently trying to educate myself a bit more about fungi, and came to your blog by chance. Lovely pics of the Ceps! Reading back to earlier posts, I was very taken with the photos of the markets. I LOVE markets, especially French ones! Our markets in the UK are very poor by comparison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark. Thanks. Continuing the fungi theme, have a look at my post http://ourfrenchgarden.blogspot.fr/2012/10/le-lactaire-delicieux.html
      I really like the Saffron Milkcap - meaty.

      Delete
  6. it looks very good! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment