Windfall Box


I've always fancied adding a little more box (buxus sempervirens) somewhere around La Fermette, down by the river. In fact I've always fancied having a low box hedge - a parterre - but creating one presents a twofold problem. Financial and patience. Box is both expensive and slow growing, so when my neighbour mentions that there's lots of old box hedging being given away as someone is digging up the grounds to an old manor house they've just bought and do I want any - well I bit their hand off.


I decided to make the parterre in front of the stone wall by the Fermette's terrace.


After removing the turf and digging the area over, I layed out the boxwoods to get an idea of spacing and number.


All in. A bit unruly but they'll pull into shape after being clipped and the 'leggy' exposed bases should leaf out nicely as the growing season gets under way and the light encourages them.


Clipped and waiting for spring. I'm undecided as to what to plant within the border, maybe annual Cosmos and Ammi majus (the bishop's flower).

Comments

  1. What a good chance to make a box hedge with box trees you've got! It looks stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Poirot. Should look really good once it leafs out.

      Delete
  2. Wow what a lucky find. It will look great when it settles in and has had a few trims. Have a good week. Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane. Lucky is the operative word! As you say, it just needs to settle in.

      Delete
  3. How fun! And nicely inexpensive. Boxwood is such a classic, I'm sure you'll make it beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicely inexpensive and nicely immediate. Thanks VW, I'll 'revisit' it here in the Summer.

      Delete
  4. Oh what luck and an instant transformation Rob! I hope that you show us a photo of that area in the summer when it's all planted. Frothy whites sound most attractive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna. I've ordered seeds for cosmos 'picotee' and scabious 'black night' to sow into it. Should look really nice.

      Delete
  5. Well done!

    It looks like spring there already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sweetbay. Spring may well be arriving here. I'm sure you're ready for spring over there after the winter much of the states have been through!

      Delete
  6. They all look pretty happy in their new surroundings. And I don't blame them - what a lovely place.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment